FOREST HILLS ACADEMY OF DIGITAL LEARNING
The Forest Hills Academy of Digital Learning is an in-house cyber option for Forest Hills School District K-12 students. The Forest Hills School District’s goal is to provide flexibility and a continuum of learning options for all students. The program has been developed in collaboration with online learning experts and based on years of research and best practices for excellence in online learning. The Forest Hills Academy of Digital Learning gives students the ability to receive a customized, online education while maintaining important social connections to the school.
While attending the Forest Hills Academy of Digital Learning options may include either full time or a blended half-day traditional/half-day cyber setting and students may also participate in a wide variety of extracurricular activities. The Academy offers a personal touch and a local presence. Students are able to access Forest Hills School District’s on-campus learning labs or meet with an instructor in person should the need arise. The Forest Hills Academy of Digital Learning is designed to offer “R” students a relevant learning option while providing personalized support unique from traditional cyber options while also maintaining appropriate social interactions and live interactions during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Benefits of the Forest Hills Academy of Digital Learning
1. All of our teachers are highly qualified and Pennsylvania-certified teachers. Not all charter or cyber-charter teachers are highly qualified or certified educators.
2. FH Academy of Digital Learning offers curriculum-aligned online coursework at three different instructional levels: elementary, junior high, and senior high school.
3. Forest Hills Academy of Digital Learning has at-home and on-site capabilities, so the student and family can choose what works best for them.
4. The program is offered at no cost for families, keeping local tax dollars in the Forest Hills School District.
5. All students who enroll in the FH Academy of Digital Learning are provided with a school district-issued Chromebook.
6. A FH Academy of Digital Learning student will be afforded the opportunity to earn a diploma from Forest Hills School District and “walk across the stage” with their peers on graduation day.
7. Forest Hills Academy of Digital Learning students can go through the program when it is convenient for them; the system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
8. Eligible students are able to participate in activities, athletics, and performing arts at no cost.
9. Eligible students may attend dances, prom, and homecoming.
10. Live tutoring support and on-campus support are available.
11. Students have the opportunity to enroll in the Greater Johnstown Career & Technical Center (GJCTC).
12. Traditional cyber or cyber charter schools have historically underperformed on industry-standard testing such as the PSSA as opposed to the Forest Hills School District assessment scores.